Eastern rail line suspended as a result of insecurity – Minister
The China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) said it canceled work on the Port Harcourt-Maiduguri Rail over incessant insecurity, threats to lives of its officials and vandalism.
The Minister of Transportation, Alhaji Mu’azu Jaji Sambo, revealed this in Port Harcourt, during his tour of the Eastern rail line corridor on Friday.
He said the contractor postponed work on the rehabilitation of the line a result of insecurity and vandalism of railway properties along the corridor.
In his words: “China Civil Engineering and Construction Company (CCEC), handling the rehabilitation and reconstruction of the project had complained of attacks on its workers especially along the Abia State axis.”
Sambo denounced the acts, citing that in the history of Nigeria, no government has invested more in rail infrastructure like the present administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
In August, during his duty tour to Lagos, Sambo had threatened sanctions on CCECC after their refusal to release funds or move to the various sites where they had been expected to be working.
He had cited the Kano-Kaduna rail line as well as the Port-Harcourt-Maiduguri narrow gauge rail line, as two lines the government had been looking forward to delivering to Nigerians before handing over next year.
Sambo gave CCECC an October deadline to provide a practical remedy or be sanctioned.