After Applauding China Government, FG Threatens To Sanction Chinese Firm Over Rail Project

Following an alleged negligence to deliver 85 per cent counterpart fund for the the rail project in some parts of Nigeria, the federal government has threatened to sanction the China Civil Engineering and Construction Company (CCECC).

Muazu Sambo, the Minister of Transportation, gave the warning on Saturday while speaking to journalists in Lagos at the end of a tour of the Lekki Deep Seaport to ascertain the level of work done so far.

He condemned the slow pace of work in the Kanu-Kaduna and Port Harcourt-Maiduguri rail lines.

Sambo, who denounced the attitude of the Chinese firm, said CCECC had not provided any of its 85 per cent counterpart fund for the rail project two years after the agreement has elapsed.

He said the agreement prescribes that CCECC is to deliver 85 per cent of the project cost while the federal government provides the remaining 15 per cent.

“I have given them till October 2022 to fulfill their own part of the agreement or stiff sanction would be meted out to them.

“How could it be said that two years after the agreement was signed, CCECC is yet to provide a dollar?” he queried.

In March, former Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi had blamed the firm of playing politics with the Kanu-Kaduna rail project, prompting the contractor to provide funding for the project.

He said: “The pace is extremely slow, the equipments are supposed to be 2,000 plus, but what they (CCECC) have brought so far is 541, they claim that 300 and something equipment are in Kaduna. I will send people to check. Even if you add that all together, you will have 800 and something equipment in place of 2,000 equipment that they are supposed to bring. That means something is wrong somewhere.

“I know they (CCECC) claim that there is no money, that we have not funded them. But what of their responsibility in the contract that they will look for the money?

“CCECC has not brought money, the Chinese are no longer giving us money for more than three to four years now. So CCECC can’t afford to delay in their responsibility to look for money for the project. That is what the Chinese must do.”

However, Nexus News recalls that
the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday, applauded China for its efforts in enhancing infrastructure in Nigeria.

According to Femi Adesina, the Presidential spokesman speaking the State House when he hosted Ambassador Cui Jianchun and the new Deputy Chief of Mission/Ministerial Councilor, Zhang Yi, China has played a significant role in the administration’s effort to improve infrastructure in Nigeria.

He applauded the Chinese government for sustained efforts to boost Nigeria’s infrastructure in power, rail, aviation, among others.

About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *